So I have been on spring break this past week. Spent time catching up on homework but that takes on a whole new definition. Seriously... it's wildlife biology and the introduction at that. Lots of time spent making observations and evaluating habitat outdoors! Not so rough to do.Gotta love spring time in Colorado. The bright sky blues, new greens of plant life, murky water waking up with the splashes of fish snatching the first bugs of spring, all the species of birds migrating through, animals coming out of hibernation and yet the sunsets hold on to the long shadows of winter and light the world up with the gold of a Colorado evening. I love living here.
I have never paid much attention to birds, unless they are of the tasty variety, but I took an ornithology (bird studies) class this spring and enjoy it. My awakening came when I "discovered" the variety of species that reside, nest or migrate through the Front Range. I have completed 5 or 6 natural histories and my first illustration/sketch. I have sighted about 20 species that I never paid attention too. Birds are tough little creatures. They can survive foraging for food all winter, (how much food or seeds do you see around here), the colds tempratures are just a nuisence to most and the others fly hundreds or thousands of miles in search of their happy place. Most songbirds could mailed for cost of 2 stamps thats how little they weigh. I almost forgot those winter and spring time winds. So I have been impressed by the fortitude and resourcefulness of these critters. They can also sing to songs at the SAME time, I can only carry one but I need a bucket to do it. A great link for bird identification is http://www.allaboutbirds.org/Page.aspx?pid=1189 (just in case your curious about something you may see).
My backyard is in need of a remodel so I think I am going to place an emphasis on bird and wildlife habitat. Besides its a big backyard so a natural look and less groomed will be simple to maintain and use less water.
Just one last thing.... Hot damn it's spring and camping/backpacking is almost here!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment